How to Activate the PLR license on Cisco Security Products?
The comprehensive Cisco license reservation option is still unfamiliar to most customers. Permanent license reserve is a feature of Cisco’s smart licensing solution. A smart License requires a smart account and connection to Cisco Smart Software Management (CSSM) or Smart Software Manage (SSM on-Prem) to reactivate and report the most current license status. However, some clients have highly protected internal networks with limited internet access. So, what can they do? This is where the Cisco PLR license (Permanent License Reservation) comes into play.
What is the Cisco PLR License?
Cisco PLR licensing is a long-term solution for a highly secure network design with minimal outward connections. Using a reservation code issued by Cisco partners, you can register all product instances with exclusive features indefinitely and permanently (no renewal required). This solution is primarily available for Cisco NXOS, IOS XE/XR-based devices, and Cisco Secure product lines.
Furthermore, because most consumers are uncomfortable with Cisco smart licensing methods and find all smart accounts and virtual accounts notions complicated, PLR licenses are a straightforward solution you can use on many different devices.
Additionally, it may eliminate all issues regarding Cisco Essential, Advantage, and Premier Licenses, all of which have different features and expiration dates, by offering a single authorization number that can permanently enable all premium capabilities.
How to apply for a Cisco PLR License?
Some basic CLI commands on most Cisco IOS/NXOS devices, such as Cisco Catalyst switches and Cisco Nexus switches, can produce a reservation code for you. You’ll receive a unique permission number after sending the code to the sales experts. All functionalities would be permanently activated by inputting the code in the CLI.
Cisco PLR licensing is also supported by Cisco security solutions such as Cisco Identity Service Engine, Cisco Secure Firewall Management Center, Cisco Secure Firewalls, and Cisco Firewall Threat Defiance. The GUI interface provides access to this feature.
PLR License Activation on Cisco FDM
When you only have one firewall to manage, you can use Firepower Device Manager across the network. It’s a web-based database manager that operates natively on your Firepower with FTD’s box.
Workflows, illustrations, and default setup settings are all included. Cisco Device Manager comes standard with the Cisco Firepower Firewall with FTD. The FDM is a consolidated platform for applying and managing Firepower licenses.
You can use Cisco smart licenses to register all Cisco Firepower product instances. The cloud-based Cisco Smart Licensing solution allows you to automate time-consuming licensing activities.
You can check the status of your license and software usage patterns with this service. Three main functions are simplified with Smart Licensing. This new licensing method necessitates a direct or proxy Internet connection to the Cisco Smart Software Management (CSSM) website.
Although a connection to the Internet is not an alternative in highly protected areas, the Cisco PLR License allows you to install an authorization code that permanently activates all premium features on your device.
The FDM does not require any licensing. It can, however, be utilized for Firepower with the registration of FTD product instances. To activate your Firepower with FTD with a Cisco FDM PLR license, follow the procedures below:
- Turn on the device and connect via the Console Port.
- Accept the EULA and continue the procedure by entering your IP address and GW.
- The device will ask you if you wish to administer the device locally at the end of the wizard: You must select yes.
- Open a web browser and type in the IP address that you previously assigned to the device.
- You can continue the configuration procedure after connecting to the device through the Web interface and setting the Output interface IP and NTP Server.
- The procedure will ask you whether you want to activate the 90-day evaluation period without Registration or Register the device with Cisco Smart Software Manager in the last stage. You should choose a 90-day evaluation and complete it.
- When the prompt appears, choose solitary device and tap Got It. Then, on the left side of the screen, select the Smart License tab.
- A drop-down menu will appear on the right side of the screen on the Smart License page. To install the Cisco FDM PLR license, press Switch to Universal PLR.
- You now have access to the Request Code. Send this code to the supplier so that they can give you a Cisco FDM PLR license.
PLR License Activation on Cisco ISE
Using a Cisco ISE PLR license to enable all features on the Cisco Identity Service Engine platform is a straightforward process. In essence, Cisco’s permanent license reserve is a safe and dependable licensing solution for secure environments where no inbound or outgoing connections are permitted.
An authorization number issued by Cisco can be used to activate a Cisco PLR license. Customers should produce a request code from the Cisco ISE web interface and share it with sales representatives. After that, Cisco will supply you with an authorization code. Then you can register your device by following the instructions below:
Enter Setup on the CLI after finishing the Cisco ISE first deployment to begin ISE basic configuration. After that, you can use the administration IP to access the Web interface.
- Use the new username and password to log in to the device.
- Open the Hamburger menu on the ISE platform to activate the license reservation option.
- Choose the Licensing option from the Administration tab.
- Then click the Generate code button and choose PLR.
- Copy the generated code and send it to Cisco’s sales team to acquire the permission code.
- Then, in the box, type the code and click Enable.
- Your device will be fully registered and ready to use after completing these procedures.
Remember that PLR licenses are node-locked, meaning they cannot be transferred between platforms. Each authorization number you’ve got is unique to your current product, and no one can use it without your permission.
For any queries related, please feel free to connect with us via WhatsApp (+971585811786).