How Should You Setup a Hikvision DVR System?
Getting a Hikvision DVR is not enough. If you want to improve or strengthen your surveillance system for better output, proper setup of the Hikvision DVR system is important. If the system isn’t installed or configured properly, the recording will not be done and the cameras will not be useful.
In this post, we will help you set up the Hikvision DVR system. It’s said that the setup process isn’t lengthy and complicated. And sometimes, users don’t even need professionals for the setup.
What should you do or consider before setting or configuring the Hikvision DVR system?
- You should find enough space in your house to set up your entire system, including your cameras. Keep in mind that there are many cables and connections included in the setting up of the system physically. Check this before mounting your cameras.
- The space you choose for setting the system should have enough power sockets. The minimum socket requirement is two- one for the DVR and one for each of your cameras.
Install DVR hard drive– The Hikvision DVR will record everything as specified but the recordings will not be of any use if they are not stored. So, before you set up the system, you should install a DVR hard drive. You just have to open the recorder to physically install the hard drive. Then, you need to connect the power and data cables.
Connect the DVR system– At the back of the Hikvision DVR system, you will find ports for different types of cables. Different ports mean different functions. And the selection of the ports depends on the camera that will be used. Usually, the VIDEO IN port is connected or used for the functioning of the Hikvision DVR system. To connect the DVR system to the cameras, you should use coaxial cables.
The VIDEO IN port is used to record video on the recorder box. Other than this, you will have an HDMI or VGA port to connect the monitor and view what the camera is recording or shooting. Other than this, you should connect the DVR system to the mouse for easy accessibility. Don’t forget to plug in the power cables to start the DVR.
If you wish to have the DVR system connected to the internet, you should connect it with a router as well. Internet connection will make browsing and other functions easier.
Steps to set up Hikvision DVR system
You will find two software versions in Hikvision recorders. You should follow the setup process based on the version your system has. You cannot follow a default process for the setup.
First: After the system gets switched ON, you will be prompted for the password setup. You should create a strong password and confirm it in the second box. Use the same password in the IP camera activation box.
While setting up the password, you will find a box for security questions. You should keep this box ticked and create the answers to the security questions that come thereafter. This might take a few minutes of yours and increase the overall setup time. But, in the future, these security questions will help reset your password if you forget it.
Second: After setting up the password, you will automatically move to the setup wizard. You need to follow a few steps to complete this.
- On the first page, you will find some basic information such as the number of IP cameras that can be added to the DVR system. Generally, at least two IP cameras are accepted in most DVR systems.
- Next, you will have to choose the desired language for operating the DVR system. Almost all the languages are available.
- Next, you will find a Start Wizard When Starts box. If you want to see the wizard each time, you should keep the box ticked. If you untick the box, you will not see the wizard again.
- Next, you should update the correct time here. If the time is not correct, the recording will not be useful in any investigation. No one will trust the recordings for any purpose. When you click on the box, you will get permission to input a new date and time or change the time zone or date format.
- Next, you will find the screen for network settings. If you know nothing about networking or are confident with the knowledge you have, you should tick the Enable DHCP box. The will instruct the DVR to automatically assign itself the correct settings for your network. You can do it manually as well, but only if you know networking.
- Next, you will come across the Remote Viewing Setup. With this, you can check your cameras on a phone or tablet from any location. For this, you should tick the Enable box and follow the steps.
- Next, you will find a page with more network settings. If you find them important, spend some time on the page or ignore it simply that most users do.
- Next, it’s about a hard drive. As you have installed the hard drive, you should select your Hard Drive by ticking the box to the left of the device. After ticking the box, you will find the Status change to Initializing. You should until the status shows Normal.
- In the final step, you will get some basic recording settings. For recording all the time, you should click the cog icon next to Continuous. And for recording when something moves in front of the cameras, you should click the cog icon next to Motion Detection.
The setup process is simple. But, if you need any professional help, contact Gear Net Technologies on the WhatsApp (+971585811786)