What Are Access Control Systems, and How Do They Work?
Everyone needs to feel safe, but the constantly changing world keeps posing new dangers to us. Thankfully, access control systems are available to keep you safe by acting as digital gatekeepers.
Let’s get to know what access control systems are, why they are important, and how they work:
What is an Access Control System?
Imagine you have a magic key that allows only the right people to enter and keeps the wrong ones out. This is what an access control system does for you! It’s a smart security device that controls who is allowed to enter or use particular things, like computers or rooms. Access control systems are much better than normal locks and keys as they provide greater security and are able to do more.
Why Are Access Control Systems Important?
You Get a Safer Space:
Access control systems make your space much safer than just a simple lock and a key because they provide you with high-tech security options that are harder to fool.
You Get A Lot More Choices:
These systems are incredibly adaptable. Based on your occupation or the time of day, you can give different people different levels of access.
They Keep a Record of Everything:
Access control systems keep a record of every person who comes in and at what time, which means they have a detailed record of all events, which can help you during strange incidents.
It Provides You with Convenience:
Access Control Systems replace the need for regular keys, which are easy to steal or lose. With authentication methods like biometrics, you’re saved from the stress of lost keys or unauthorized duplication of keys.
You Get Real-time Monitoring:
The audit trail and logging features of Access Control Systems allow you to track access-related events in real-time. This feature helps you take quick action if there are any doubtful activities.
They Can Work with Other Systems:
Access Control Systems can be easily connected to other security devices like alarms and CCTV cameras, which helps you build a foolproof security network for better protection.
How Does an Access Control System Work?
Let us see how an access control system works to keep you safe:
Access control systems need you to have an identification, just like a secret code. You can use a card, a key fob, or even a feature of your body like your face or fingerprint to identify yourself. Each person gets a special code, which helps the system identify them. Let’s get a quick look at these forms of credentials:
- Keycards: Keycards are just like hotel room keys. You swipe or tap these cards on the card reader, which allows you to enter
- Biometrics: This is another very famous way of identifying your credential, where your fingerprint, retinal scan, or facial features are used to identify you.
- PIN Codes: These are personal identification numbers that you type in to get entry. these are similar to the pin codes we use on our phones.
- Mobile Devices: Some Access Control Systems also use smartphones with special apps as access keys.
Card readers are like the digital eyes of the Access Control System. They are typically placed near entry points and read the information on the presented credential.
Access Control Panel:
The access control panel is the system’s advanced brain. It remembers all the codes for each person, checks if that code is the right one, and then decides if you should be allowed to enter or not.
Access points are similar to doors or gates where you want to restrict access. There are unique electronic locks on these access points. When the access control panel signals “Yes, you can enter,” the locks open, allowing the person to pass.
This part of the access control system is like the Wi-Fi that connects all the pieces. It enables the access control panel to communicate with the access points quickly. This helps the system make a decision quickly in real time
Administrator software is what controls the whole system. This software lets you manage everything. You can add new people or remove the old ones from the system and decide who can enter and who cannot. This helps you keep an eye on what is happening.
With the help of these smart components of the access control system, it is able to protect you, other people, and your property from any sort of danger.
Different Types of Access Control Systems
Access control systems are of different types depending on the use you have. These different types of access control systems are:
- Discretionary Access Control (DAC), in which the owner of the resource has control over who can access it.
- Mandatory Access Control (MAC), in which access decisions are taken by the administrator of the system, and the users have little say in access rights.
- Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), which grants access to users according to their roles or job functions within an organization.
- Attribute-Based Access Control (ABAC), in which access is granted based on specific user traits like location, device used, and time of day.
In this digital age, upgrading your security system to access control systems can properly protect your property and its occupants. To know more about these systems in Dubai, chat with Gear Net Technologies on WhatsApp:- +971585811786